Monday, March 11, 2013

Stained Glass Flowers

I've always loved the Cathedral Rose pattern, published by Annie's Attic. So much so, that I even bought a copy of it... but although the end result is always beautiful (and there are dozens to be seen on Google Images), the pattern is a bit daunting: lots of text, no photos or diagrams. For a visual learner like me, it's a little off-putting.

So I started thinking about my own stained glass pattern. It's what the Réalta pattern was supposed to be but didn't quite become. Creating a nice motif isn't hard, what is tricky is lining up the colours:


 I want to have the effect of light shining through the window, so the centre has to be the lightest, brightest point, with the colour graduating in shade towards the black frame of the window pane.
A little bit like this:



I'm pleased with the result so far. The first hexagons are lush with colour and I can't wait to add more. I've dug out every scrap of coloured yarn I have to line up shades and tones, just to find a nice colour sequence. Oooh, I like this!


9 comments:

linda said...

Beautifu! I love the effect the colours just seem to blend into one another it will look amazing when it's finished :)

Lisa said...

Beautiful. The colours and the pattern. You did a good job.

Lisa

Anonymous said...

wow that is beautiful

Gracey is not my name.... said...

Yes the Cathedral Rose is gorgeous..so it The Stained Glass Window one....I actually bought all the yarn for that pattern...made one square and decided it was too labor intensive...I like yours..very pretty..and not quite as labor intensive..

Petunia Pill said...

That's one of my faves as well, but waaaay over my head. Love what you are creating! Can't wait to see where you'll go with these!

Paula said...

Beautiful pattern + beautiful colours = beautiful blanket. I look forward to seeing it finished, it's going to be gorgeous.

Deb said...

Beautiful! Love the colors! I'm available if you need a tester! :)

Carole said...

Oh, this looks gorgeous. It makes me feel like picking up my crochet again.
I enjoyed catching up with your blog and all your adventures in Ireland. I love your humour and the way you narrate your stories. And your limpet is super cute :-)

Jay said...

Lovely, lovely colours!