Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Flower Power

So ... what have I been up to?


I finished a blanket for a friend of mine, Lisa, who's expecting a baby. I used Krochet Krystal's daisy square pattern, which I really like because it has the potential to use up so many different yarn colours. This blanket coincided with me getting my hands on a skein of black worsted weight yarn, which means that I can finally fulfil my obligations and make a daisy square for Krystal in "payment" for the pattern.

I've also designed a new motif. This is actually a motif that I'd had in mind for about a year: I think I remember seeing a black-and-white photo in a 70s crochet book of something similar, but like many half-memories, I don't even know if I really have seen something like this or whether I dreamt it. In any case, I tried again and again but it didn't work:  I just I knew I could do it, I just couldn't figure out how. Suddenly, two nights ago, it clicked, and as though I were inspired, it just ... worked.

Now all I have to do is make 30+ more, sew them together and see if the motif works as an afghan. Then I'll do the same thing again, but with the motifs in different colours and then again with all of the motifs in a single colour, and then I'll write up the pattern. Gulp.





19 comments:

Jane Delcambre said...

Your little daisy square blanket is adorable! My you have been busy working this new square. It's delightful and very good. I love it. Waiting on the tut as soon as your ready :'}

Liz said...

Love the baby blanket and am wowed by the daisy motif. It is lovely. Clever thing. Looking forward to the tutorial.

Emily said...

Rather you than me!!!!!!! Just take it easy, you are supposed to be resting you know :)

Gracey is not my name.... said...

Love the new motif...and it's always a surprise when I see Krystal's flower

Erica said...

Your talent just really impresses me! The blanket is beautiful and I can NOT wait to learn how to make the daisy motif, it's lovely =).

Anonymous said...

Your motif is lovely!

Petunia Pill said...

I LOVE the motif you've designed! Can't wait until you're ready to share! And...I just joined Krystal's group. I've been wanting that pattern and thought the group was closed or the pattern was no longer available or something like that! The blanket you made is nothing short of perfection! I'm crazy about the colors you used! Well done, m'dear! Hugs, Annette

Donna Lee said...

I love the daisy motif. It's delicate and pretty. I think I'd like it with a green outer edge to look like daisies in the grass. (very cliched, I know)

Sue said...

That is fabulous, so pretty!

Unknown said...

Your blanket is gorgeous and the motif is stunning. It'll make a fab afghan I'm sure so can't wait to see it made up! BTW, I've nominated your blog for the Sunshine Award so I hope you don't mind. Please pop over for the rules.
x

Petunia Pill said...

Just LOVE that blanket! I can't decide if I prefer the white background or black. They're both eye catching in their own ways! I'm crazy about the colors you used! Wow...Krystal sends an intense message about her pattern! Geez! I'm hoping she'll allow me to join her group - but so far it's just been threatening type email communications without her granting me any access to the group. Someone(s) must have REALLLLLY ticked her off! I've been loving the pattern since finding it very early in my crochet experience...but the group was closed and I thought there was no chance of getting the pattern. You have no idea how excited I was to see your post and realize the group had been reopened! Now, if I could just get past her brick wall of harsh communications....

mustrica said...

Hello, Gingerbread Lady! This is just simply wonderful! Both, the motif and the whole blanket! Hugs, Irena, Zagreb

Anne said...

Love the flower baby blanket. Lucky baby and Mom! I agree with Emily you should be resting you know!! :) But can't wait to see your design for the new square. I had a good laugh too, when you said, didn't know if you remembered it or dreamed it. lol I do that sometimes too!! :)

yarn_lady said...

the blanket is just awesome! Love the colors you have used!

Celestya22 said...

Love the daisy hexagon!

Sarah said...

I absolutely love this blanket and want to make something like it for my niece's birthday. Did you ever write out the pattern?

The Gingerbread Lady said...

Hello Sarah,
I'm terribly sorry for the delay in replying, I've just had such a crazy December. I did publish the pattern, it's under 'Patterns for Sale', the button is on the right. (I'm afraid I can't link because I'm on my iPad.) thank you for your kind comment, I'm very glad you like the blanket.

Kristine said...

I don't see the pattern in the 'Patterns for Sale'...what am I missing?

The Gingerbread Lady said...

Hi Kristine,
If you mean the white blanket over the back of the chair, then that's not my pattern (I wish it was!) Google 'Krochet Kristal daisy square' and you should find it online :-D